The origins of Lichfield Municipal Charities are over four hundred and sixty years old. Local charities were separately administered until The Municipal Corporations Act of 1835. The formation of Lichfield Municipal Charities first comprised 11 charities. Over many years a further six charities joined the fold; one of these charities was founded by William Lunn.
In 1654, William Lunn gave two houses in Stowe Street to be used as Almshouses. These were for six poor widows of the parish. He also endowed the charity with two acres of land, which provided income for the building of three further houses.
The charity was merged with Lichfield Municipal Charities in 1908. In 1956, the Almshouses were replaced on the same site by a terrace of six bungalows, known as William Lunn’s Homes. Three more were added in 1982 and a further four in 1985, giving a total of 13 residences for one and two person occupancy.
The main focus of the Charitable Trust is now the administration and updating of these Almhouses on a continuous programme. In 2015 solar panels were fitted to the roof to provide green energy to the residents.
The Charitable Trust also helps with grants to individuals and organisations living or based within the areas shown on the map.
Photograph Copyright R. Stokes